The Benefits Of Becoming An Educational Influencer
Content influencers have become common in almost every industry and sector, but there are not many educational influencers online. Educational influencers are in high demand by the companies that support schools, educators, and students. More than this, social media gives teachers and other educators a platform through which they can strive for the betterment of education for all.
Educational influencers create Twitter posts, Facebook posts, and pages, Instagram GIFs and infographics, and YouTube or TikTok videos on topics relating to education, student tips, college prep etc. The top educational influencers share both original and carefully chosen sponsored content.
Consider educational influencers to be on par with keynote speakers at a seminar. Both are examples of professional development for teachers and other high school faculty. As such, NSHSS is proud to offer the following information to encourage educators in becoming quality educational influencers.
The goals of the top educational influencers
Most content influencers get started because they are looking for income streams. The top educational influencers accept the need for sponsored content to raise funds for furthering their other goals, but this is not their primary purpose.
The loftiest goals of the top educational influencers include:
- Improving and expanding educator knowledge and skills
- Encouraging continuing education and professional development
- Influencing policymakers on the local, state, and federal level
- Increasing awareness of programs and organizations benefiting students
- Provoking thought and discussion on current hot topics in education
- Sharing personal stories of successful (or failed)
- Educating other teachers and administrators in new teaching methodologies and techniques
These are just some of the themes on which educational influencers generate content. It is important to NSHSS that educational influencers maintain goals such as these rather than simply pursuing another stream of personal income. Educational influencers furthering these goals typically apply their earnings from sponsored content to the use of their classrooms.
Benefits of being an educational influencer
There are three primary benefits of being an educational influencer. The first is that you will gain pride in contributing to the betterment and future of high school and college education. Teachers and administrators doing groundbreaking work in developing new teaching methodologies are more likely to be recognized as educational influencers. Finally, the income from sponsored content can be significant as one gains followers, infusing schools with the funds needed to practice these new methods.
How to become an influencer in the education space
Becoming an educational influencer takes commitment and effective task management. Each individual has their own talents and skills. As such, your first step is to determine what type of content you want to create. It is important to stay inside your comfort zone, at least at first. Doing so strengthens the quality of your content. You may not be comfortable with creating a video, but writing blogs and Twitter threads may be completely within reach.
The social media platforms you choose will largely be dictated by the type of content you wish to create. Facebook and Twitter are both good options for posting short-written content and links. Instagram is best for GIFs and infographics linked to more information or other social media profiles. TikTok is a popular place to post short videos, but videos posted to YouTube can easily be shared across platforms.
- Post consistently. The most influential educational content creators post consistently. All social media platforms have scheduling tools to make this easier, but you can’t rely on them alone. You also need to share and reply to the content of those making up or addressing your audience.
- Grow your following by following others. Following those that follow you back is an important part of becoming an educational influencer. Thanks to social media algorithms, following those that follow you, creates more impressions and views for your content. The more views your content receives the more influential you become, and the more likely you will be able to make an impact.
- Host a TED Talk. TED Talks are quite common today, but they can still make a big impact. Being able to post the link to your TED Talk gives you credibility and encourages students, parents, educators, and faculty to truly listen to what you have to say.
- Join professional organizations for educators. Networking shouldn’t happen solely on social media. Professional organizations for educators are abundant and provide additional opportunities for exposure.
The program is designed for educational influencers and professionals seeking the betterment of high school education. NSHSS educator members are also eligible for a variety of efforts of quality educational influencers.