NSHSS Creative Writing Scholarship
Three (3) $2,000 awards for the Fiction category, three (3) $2,000 awards for the Poetry category
Rising high school students graduating in 2024, 2025, 2026, 2027, and recently graduated 2023 seniors
Awards will be presented to students with the top submissions in the two categories below:
- Poetry: Students may submit their original poetry in any style, from formal verse, to free verse to experimental. The poem should be formatted as you wish it to appear in publication.
- Fiction: Students may submit a piece of short fiction, which must be no more than 5,000 words and should not be single-spaced. The entry may be any genre of the student’s choice, including graphic novel or story.
Winning literary entries will be published on the NSHSS website. Entries will be judged on creativity, technique, expression, and originality.
*All work must be the student’s original work.
Plagiarism: NSHSS has a no-tolerance policy for plagiarism. Any applicant whose winning work is determined to be plagiarized in whole or in part will forfeit any awards.
By submitting your work to us, you are giving NSHSS and its partners, affiliates, and licensees the non-exclusive right to publish your work in any format, including print, electronic, and online media. However, all individual contributors to NSHSS retain the right to submit their work for non-exclusive publication elsewhere, and you have our permission to do so.
Please note: Students have the option to apply to one or BOTH categories. Only one entry per category is allowed. Students are only eligible to win one NSHSS Scholarship per academic year.
- Educator recommendation
- Upload a copy of your work to the application and include:
- Title of the work
- Category you are submitting for
- Color headshot
- Academic resume
- Current Transcript (can be official or unofficial)